Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think he ate garlic. Petey. Almost 4. No he is a great dog…

Customer Question
Hi i think he...

Hi i think he ate garlic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Petey

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Petey?

Almost 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Petey?

No he is a great dog but sad and sickly tonight He got into some hummus yesterday a little fatty too

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe the symptoms that Petey is showing?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- How much hummus did he eat?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

100 pounds he got the tub of hummus and ate about 1/4 of the tub. Healthy dog.

I am sorry for the delay in response. I had some technical problems at this end. Are you still there?

what's the answer

Again, I am sorry. One more question. Can you describe his symptoms?

1- Is he vomiting?

2- Any abdominal swelling?

Friend, as you already know garlic is toxic to dogs. It can cause damage to the red blood cells leading to anemia. In addition, the humus can cause pancreatitis, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and blood work as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If at any point you notice abdominal swelling, pale gums, etc. have him checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian