Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

This morning she did not get up, which is very unusual, I…

Customer Question
This morning she did...

This morning she did not get up, which is very unusual, I had to make her get up and go outside to pee. afterward she laid in a chair all day long. this evening her legs were giving out and she kept falling. this is totally new. she ate and drank well, and right now is able to walk around without falling any more, and is resting comfortably.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Macie, approx 10 years old. boxer/shepherd mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Macie?

Yes. this weekend we visited my daughter, and she has been putting out mouse and roach poisons. the mouse poison is bromethalide. also. i have been cooking them meat instead of buying dog food - but I am quite careful to see it is well-cooked, and my other two dogs are fine. also, macie has a history of a cancerous tumor removed from her forearm last year. and we have loads of ticks here, she has been treated for lyme's in the part. in addition to the following, she had been salivating excessively.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Macie, please?

My primary concern is her profound weakness which can indicate anemia, many metabolic diseases, as well as myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) and encephalopathy (brain disorder). Bromethalin intoxication is a concern because it can cause hind limb paresis (weakness) 5 days or more post-ingestion. This may be progressive (fatal), permanent, or gradually improve.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian