Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is throwing up an has no energy. Im not sure...this was a…

Customer Question
He is throwing up...

He is throwing up an has no energy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Im not sure...this was a couple of days ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Pierre 3months

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Pierre?

3 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pierre?

He also has no energy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything?

2- Any diarrhea?

3- What breed is Pierre?

4- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

He is 3months old...i think he did get into the trash in my backyard shortly after that he threw up...no he hasnt had a bowel movement at all today this has been going on since tuesday...he is a mini schnauzer

1- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

He is gagging not really throwing up
Not really pale

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, as you may already know he is lethargic because he does not feel well. If he is gagging and not vomiting this could be secondary to a respiratory infection. If he is vomiting common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would strongly recommend having him checked by your vet for a hands-on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test in the morning. In the meantime, it is important you try to get him to eat. I would feed him a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible, blend the food and force feed him a small amount 4-6 times a day. For now, until you force feed him give him 1 teaspoon of honey, pancake or karo syrup to avoid hypoglycemia. Strongly recommend a hands-on exam as soon as you can by a veterinarian. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian