Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is not up to date on his rabies shots and yesterday

he bit my adult neighbor...
My dog is not up to date on his rabies shots and yesterday he bit my adult neighbor on my door step. It was a minor bite, but it drew blood. My neighbor reported it to animal control. What is the most likely scenario as far as any quarantine?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oscar. I already called my Vet. They told me to ask animal control.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: No. Except I hope he doesn't have to be quarantined for a long time.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about what happened.

In most states, he will have to be quarantined for 10 days. It varies from state to state where the quarantine must be done (in my state it is done at the local animal shelter, by animal control). If he does not show signs of rabies, after 10 days, he will get a rabies vaccination, and you may be fined for not having him vaccinated. In my state the fine is $300.

This varies from state to state. Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Okay. Thank you. Do you know if the 10 days includes the days he has not been taken from our home yet?

It is usually 10 days from the time of the bite.

Thanks for the great rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian