Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pomeranian is a diabetic last friday he ran out of his om…

Customer Question
My pomeranian is a...

My pomeranian is a diabetic last friday he ran out of his om canine food so i bought him a bag of chicken soup dog food from menards it had salmon chicken, duck,turkey he ate it well then got sick sunday night and threw it up didnt give him and food or water for a day got his regular dog food from the vet tuesday still didnt want to eat anything yesterday he finally ate a little bit today he is weak took him a bath he eats a little bit then stops then i will move the bowl where he moves to and he eats a little bit stops he moves again and i movev the bowl to him he eats little bit mind you it is only a half cup he has eaten not even a quarter cup i do also give him pro plan om wet dog food to eat he does consume that he has always eaten his other dog food prescribed to him could he have virus there has been some times he do be taken in because he was dehydrated they had to put a line in him for liquids

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Rocky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?

Well i had to get him out of bed to eat he will not go down the stairs as well as up have to carry him until he is to the top then he shakes to put him down he also does not like to be held when he is sick he wants to be held cause he is weak he does walk around but does not have his old pep in him just turned 13 years old took his reading for his diabetes 184 not to bad normal reading 118 125

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Rocky has an upset stomach and has been acting lethargic and not eating normally. I am sorry to hear about this problem. In addition to the blood sugar, it would also be helpful to monitor his urine for sugar and ketones. Do you happen to have a urinalysis stick to measure these?