Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs cannot retract his penis on his own. I have taken…

Customer Question
Hi my dogs cannot...

Hi my dogs cannot retract his penis on his own. I have taken him to two different vets but they can't seem to know what's wrong with him. I have to physically open his shaft and help him put it inside twice a day. The thing is, that it doesn't stay inside. They vets have prescribed him ointments and anti biotic but are not helping. Any suggestion on what's going on with him? Any input is much appreciated

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?

Yes. It's been going on for about 6 months now

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Frankenstein

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frankenstein?

He was a stray and before this happened, I believe he tried to hump one of my female dogs and my female dog was not having it and he hurt himself.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Frankenstein. You’ve described paraphimosis which is most commonly seen in young intact dogs but also occurs in castrated dogs. The etiologies (causes) include developmental preputial anomalies, e.g., a small preputial opening or hypoplastic prepuce; infections such as transmissable venereal tumor (rare) and balanoposthitis (infection of the prepuce); priapism (prolonged penile erection with or without sexual arousal); and a hair ring or scar tissue that has entrapped the penis. Paraphimosis is most commonly associated with a hair ring or a relatively stenotic preputial orifice in my experience. Ineffective preputial musculature that can’t effectively retract the penis into the prepuce is less common and usually associated with neurologic disease such as myelopathy (spinal cord disorder). Because you can reduce his penis but it won't stay in place, balanposthitis (which should be readily visible by a vet) or neuropathy should be considered. A neuropathy can be a challenge to diagnose and require advanced imaging in the form of X-rays and MRI of his spine and peripheral nerves innervating his penis.

Conservative care involves the use of cold compresses and sugar or honey in an attempt to reduce swelling of the penis if swelling is present. If present, removal of the hair around the preputial orifice and applying a lubricant such as K-Y jelly and manually replacing the penis into the prepuce is then attempted. Failure to replace the penis should be considered an emergency and attended to by Frankenstein's vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you so much for the quick response dr Salkin. Actually, I was just looking at Frankensteins vet records and that was the diagnosis that the vet gave Frankenstein. However, the Anti biotics and the ointment that were prescribed did not help. I'm not sure he has paraphimosis. Can he possibly have something else? Or do you suggest we do some special test ?

Paraphimosis defines the inability to retract an extruded penis back into the preputial sheath and so it appears that he does have paraphimosis but his vets haven't determined the cause of it. I suspect a neurologic cause and to investigate that advanced testing and imaging as I mentioned above will be necessary. Referral to a specialist veterinary neurologist (www.acvim.org) should be considered and it would be best if the neurologist were part of a group of specialists under the same roof such as found in speciality centers in major metropolitan areas or veterinary school teaching hospitals in which a specialist surgeon were available in case surgery would be helpful for Frankenstein. Please continue our conversation if you wish.