Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was just researching about engorged dog breasts. We have a…

Customer Question
Hi! I was just...

Hi! I was just researching about engorged dog breasts. We have a young 9 month old boxer mama. She's a great mama and doing her very best. Pretty sure she was showing signs of eclampsia last week. She had a fever and was lethargic/confused looking. She was standing stiff as a board and would stumble if she tried to walk. We were definitely over feeding her protein and not enough calcium. We have her tons of milk, cottage cheese and canned puppy food mixed in with her dry puppy food and she' was better within a day she was running around again and looking much more comfortable. That was 3 days ago. Now her breasts are super engorged hard and lumpy. I tried massaging her breast while she was nursing to help (one experienced breastfeeding to another) and it helps it tremendously but still hard and uncomfortable looking. She's warning around like she's obviously uncomfortable. She doesn't cringe when we touch, actually seems like she likes it and it is relieving. There is milk when I express it and no puss or blood. We are still giving her 3 bowls of milk each day along with 3 bowls of puppy food combo and cottage cheese. At some point I keep thinking I should maybe bring her in to see a vet. My husband who is a family medicine physician, not a vet, it's not very concerned?? The pups will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I appreciate your help!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

That would be great, thanks! Sorry about all the typos. It's hard to go back to correct from my phone. It's her back 2 breasts that are engorged. Like huge and hard. They do soften up while she's nursing but not completely, not enough for her to be comfortable. Wondering what I can do to help? If she's in the clear with eclampsia now that she's getting around fine and definitely responsive and happier. Or is this possibly still eclampsia signs? Or possible mastitis? It doesn't seem to hurt her at all when I touch them and it's warm but not any warmer than the other breasts. Or if they recommend a vet ASAP? I went to the pet store to get calcium supplements but they were out. Will try a few other places. Is this enough calcium that she's getting now to be in the clear with her changes behavior and condition? Thanks!!

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

What type of milk are you giving?

How old are the puppies?

How are her stools?

Whole milk vitamin D3 weeks old todayNot sure about her stools. We live on a ranch and she walks or to the field to poop. I'll go take a look if I can find anything abnormal out there.Also, she's bleeding now pretty bad on the outside skin of her breasts. Looks like the pups are scratching her while they nurse. She has 8 pups, 7 male and 1 female and they seem to be aggressive eaters. I'm going to attempt to clip their claws today with my cat clipper.They are not as hard today but still hard. She looks uncomfortable. Every time I check on her she is nursing in a different position. They also seem more purple looking maybe?

This does look as though it may be mastitis. She needs to be examined and treated by her vet. Additionally, we do not recommend allowing puppies to continue nursing when the bitch is experiencing eclampsia as it may worsen the condition. I would urge you to begin bottle feeding the puppies commercial formula like esbilac, and working on moving them to canned puppy food instead of having them nurse off of their mother. They will need to be kept from nursing from her particularly once she starts antibiotics, assuming this is mastitis.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is mama doing and how are her young?