Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has thrown up 7 times in 12 hours. She won't drink

Hi my dog has thrown up 7 times in 12 hours. She won't drink water but only a few ice cubes. What should I do to help this pass?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: We did start giving her more of her milk bones than normal. We usually only do 1 or 2 a week and now it's been like one a day.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Baby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?
Customer: She is 8 years old. I know if super hot where I live an I've been trying to keep my house cooled. So could it be the treats or to much heat

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the vomit?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Breed?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
1-it's all liquids with bubbles in it.
2-she not napping just sitting around whining softly.
3- no
4-German shepared/beagal
5- so far hasn't eaten just been eating ice Cubes out of my hand.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, I don't believe the vomiting is related to the heat or by having a milk bone once a day. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by your vet, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting, the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter