Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog weighs about 117 lbs. She is a diabetic and has a…

Customer Question
My dog weighs about...

My dog weighs about 117 lbs. She is a diabetic and has a slow thyroid and has been taking Thyrozine 0.8mg. I called Walmart to see if they carried this as I get her insulin and needles there but they need to know what human brand this could convert to along with dosage. The vet is so expensive so I wanted to see what they charged. Can you tell me the human equivalent along with dosage so they can check?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Penny and she is about 7 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?

She is blind due to insulin causing cataracts. She had been torn apart about 3 years ago by a pack of dogs who attacked her and the vet said that is probably what caused her diabetes. She had 3 surgeries to put her back together but is doing fine except for diabetes, blindness and slow thyroid

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, there are many generic human levothyroxin products but the difficulty you're going to find is that none contain more than 0.15 mg per tablet and Penny would need ~5 of those twice daily. Hypothyroid dogs require much higher doses of levothyroxin than humans. I would check to see if the Costco pharmacy carries the veterinary levothyroxin; there are many brands. If so, you'll find it to be considerably less expensive than that prescribed by Penny's vet. You don't need to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I am a member of Costco but have never purchased meds for a pet. Will they fill this without a prescription like Walmart?
21 September 2017 12:41

No, they'll need your vet to call in a prescription or you'll need a script in hand when you arrive at the pharmacy. I just checked...they carry the Soloxine brand of levothyroxin. Give them a call for the price. Please continue our conversation if you wish.