Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is constantly eating. And just acts like he cannot get…

Customer Question
He is constantly eating...

He is constantly eating. And just acts like he cannot get enough. He is losing weight. All my other dogs are doing fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Jaxson; he is 3.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The following disorders need to considered when a dog is polyphagic (increased hunger) yet loses weight:

1) Diabetes mellitus - test his fasted blood sugar (blood test)

2) Hyperthyroidism - test his total thyroid (T4 blood test) - unlikely at his age

3) Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency - a lack of digestive enzymes produced by his pancreas - test his TLI (blood test)

4) Malabsorption syndromes - test his serum folate (duodenal malabsorption) and serum vitamin B12 (ileal malabsorption)

5) Hypothalamic brain tumor - an MRI would be necessary to "see" this

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian