Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I recently purchased J R Enterprises' heart worm prevention.

Customer Question
I recently purchased J...

I recently purchased J R Enterprises' heart worm prevention. They use 0.05% ivermectin diluted in propylene glycol. One ml (cc) contains 461mcg of ivermectin. I just want to verify that what they are recommending for doses is correct, as it appears to be much higher then Heartgard. For my 80lbs dogs, he says to give 2mls which would make it 922mcg of ivermectin compared to Heartgard @ 272mcg. I am only using this as a "preventative" - my dogs have not tested positive for HW - Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

I have 9 rescue pups - ranging in age of 7 years - 15 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Too many to name

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Dosing of ivermectin as a heartworm preventative is recommended at 3 - 6 mcg per pound of body weight monthly which would be equivalent to 240 - 480 mcg for an 80 lb dog. As you can see, 272 mcg of Heartgard is within range. 922 mcg is excessive but not harmful. I can give 100X the amount of ivermectin I give as a heartworm preventative when treating manges. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I though it was excessive also. My dogs are all "medical" senior rescue pups - dealing with cancer / liver / kidney issues so I want to be on the low end of giving ivermectin... correct?

It's such a safe drug that any dose in that range will be safe for them. 272 mcg is 13% over 240 mcg and so the makers of Heatguard are recommending a bit more over the lowest dose in the range. Please continue our conversation if you wish.