Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a cocker spaniel and is almost 11 years ..

Customer Question
hi, my dog is a...
hi, my dog is a cocker spaniel and is almost 11 years young.. generally in good health and full of stamina. He eats only BARF. today he is sneezing and coughing and kind of wretching until he vomited a little bit of thick white matter. what could this be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no he's quite polite about it and runs to the garden. no he has not. last meal was yesterday evening and he ate his usual chicken necks and a mix of minced beef, veg, fruit, seeds and yogurt and slept normal
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: toffy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toffy?
Customer: no, he is in very good health as i mentioned
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

There are many things that can cause sneezing, coughing, and retching in a dog Toffy's age. It could be a respiratory infection, allergic reaction, "kennel cough".

Did he vomit the thick white matter, or cough it up after coughing and retching?

If he is still eating, this is probably not a digestive problem; it sounds more respiratory. He may need a course of anti inflammatory medication, and antibiotics. If the coughing and retching gets worse, I might look down his throat, and/or take a chest Xray.

If you lift his lip to check his gums, are they pink in color, or do they seem pale?

How is your dog doing? Was my answer helpful?

​Kindly consider rating my answer (smiley faces or stars) if this was helpful.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian