Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My female dog of around 9 months is in heat right now,

My female dog of around 9 months is in heat right now, almost 3 weeks into her heat she has started throwing up often and is very lethargic and this morning we woke up and she had very watery and bloody diarrhea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not at the moment

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thank you

Friend, a dog being in heat should not cause her to have the symptoms that you are describing of vomiting, lethargy, bloody diarrhea, etc. In a puppy, these symptoms are likely related to dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections (parvo), etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need to be seen by your veterinarian for a hands-on examination, fecal analysis, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Strongly recommend having her checked as soon as you can; it is important to rule out parvo virus. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting and diarrhea, the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She hasn't been eating or drinking in the last couple hours but she is just very tired but will act kind of normal when she is outside. Is it normal for her to refuse eating or drinking anything right now?

She is not eating because she does not feel well which further supports an underlying medical disorder as described above.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright, thank you for your time. I will do what you recommend and will schedule an appointment. Thank you

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter