Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My maltese, yelped when jumping out of the car and is now…

Customer Question
My maltese, ***** *****...

My maltese, ***** ***** yelped when jumping out of the car and is now favouring his back leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Buddy, 7 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?

No he is otherwise healthy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Buddy is having this problem.

Injuries to a back leg could be due to a number of things: soft tissue sprain or strain injury, torn cranial cruciate ligament in the stifle (knee), luxating patellas (kneecaps that move abnormally), fracture (however this is often excruciatingly painful), or even a mass or tumor. These can all look pretty much the same as far as limping is concerned. Because of all the obvious different diseases here, the best thing would be to have him examined to make sure this is nothing more than a soft tissue injury. The other option is for strict rest for a few days: no jumping, no stairs, no time off leash, to allow him to heal up. If he is not better after 2 or 3 days, then a vet visit would definitely be recommended. If you have dog safe pain medication such as meloxicam/metacam, rimadyl/carprofen, deramaxx, previcox, tramadol, or gabapentin, I would give the medication for the next few days.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian