Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

On a ride about an hour ago my dog had he’s head out the…

Customer Question
On a ride about an...
On a ride about an hour ago my dog had he’s head out the window and he’s paw hit the button and it rolled himself up, it had to be at tops 15 seconds until i noticed and rolled it down, soon after he started gagging like he was going to throw up, it calmed down but every once in a awhile he still gags, & when he barked he gagged, any help? should i keep an eye on him and take him to the vet in the am? or do you think he will be okay?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

He's likely just got some minor irritation / trauma to his trachea or larynx causing him to gag. Less likely, strangulation cases can result in noncardiogenic pulmonary edema - a fancy way of saying dogs can get fluid build up in their lungs after being strangled. This will lead to respiratory signs like poor gum color (pale or purple, instead of pink), excessive panting, coughing, and difficulty breathing - but not typically gagging.

I can't guarantee he's fine to be monitored, but from what you've described in this situation I'd be monitoring and think you're likely safe to do so. If he is worsening, then you'll want to get him in asap. If he isn't worsening but doesn't return to normal by tomorrow - get him in during normal hours. Chances are he'll be back to normal by tomorrow, if not a few days of a cough suppressant and/or an anti-inflammatory through your veterinarian will probably do the trick.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Hi Alexis,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mocha. How is everything going?
Samuel Peck

Reminder: Please don't forget to rate using the stars! This is very important for the experts that use this site to help people, it is how they are compensated for their time on the site. If you find this website helpful, RATE! And more importantly, if you have follow-up questions to the one that I helped you with, please don't hesitate to write me back to continue the dialogue. I aim to help you as best as my abilities allow. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.