Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just gave my 10 lb 14 yr old dog my medication instead of…

Customer Question
I just gave my...

I just gave my 10 lb 14 yr old dog my medication instead of hers. I have nothing to make her throw up. she took 5 mg bisoprolol (blood pressure), 20 mg benazipril Blood pressure), 5 mg amlodipine (blood pressure), and 500 mg naproxen. help!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I gave her my meds by mistake. what should i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Riley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?

She has lung tumors, collapsing trachea, and takes furosemide and something for her enlarged heart

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

I would suggest administering 10mL of hydrogen peroxide by mouth to induce vomiting asap.

After administering the hydrogen peroxide, I would suggest you contact a local emergency veterinarian if at all possible to let them know you're headed in. Look online for local emergency clinics that are currently open if you aren't aware of one - they often exist without people knowing!

If vomiting doesn't occur with the first dose of hydrogen peroxide, a second dose may be repeated.

That amount of naproxen is a definite concern for a 10lb dog, especially a senior dog that will be more at risk for naproxen's adverse effects. But given she has other pathologies going on - the beta blocker bisoprolol and the benazapril and amlodipine may have more of an adverse effect on her than would otherwise be anticipated.

I would recommend inducing vomiting, following by controlling nausea, administration of activated charcoal, and IV fluid diuresis with close monitoring (especially given the lung pathology and underlying cardiac disease she'll be prone to fluid overload so she'll need to be monitoring very closely during decontamination). Get her in ASAP is my absolute best recommendation for Riley.

If getting her in as absolutely not an option, try to induce the vomiting and then try to get some activated charcoal to administer to bind any residual toxin that doesn't come up in her vomit, then get her in as soon as able to diurese.

You've been silent thus far but I'm getting notifications that you're viewing these messages - let me know if you have further questions. Again, try to get her to vomit and call your local vet at the same time and get her in asap.

I will open it up for rating...

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Reminder: Please don't forget to rate using the stars! This is very important for the experts that use this site to help people, it is how they are compensated for their time on the site. If you find this website helpful, RATE! And more importantly, if you have follow-up questions to the one that I helped you with, please don't hesitate to write me back to continue the dialogue. I aim to help you as best as my abilities allow. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian