Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate some of Kellogg's organic fruit tree fertilizer, and…

Customer Question
He ate some of...

He ate some of Kellogg's organic fruit tree fertilizer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Henry and he is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Henry?

No none at all

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Henry got into organic fertilizer and ate some.

What ingredients were in the fertilizer? (I don't need percentages so much as the main ingredients)

How much did he eat?

How much does he weigh?

Is he an otherwise heathy fellow?

Thanks for your patience with my questions. I'll write up a full response once I've read your answers.

I'm not sure if you saw my questions. I'll answer your question then in general terms.

None of the ingredients in most organic fertilizers are truly toxic. There are very high levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash found in fertilizers containing potash, bone meal, feather meal, and processed poultry manure. These ingredients can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. The more Henri ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see, but usually they tolerate this pretty well.

You might not see any symptoms at all from him eating this if he only ate a little and he is a big guy.
If he seems to have an upset stomach to settle his stomach you might want to give an acid reducer.

At home you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help her feel better. They can be given for several days if need be.

And you can also feed a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days.

That should be all you need to do. And of course hide the fertilizer from him! Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy.

If he is especially sensitive and you see significant stomach upset that even acid reducers and a bland diet don't control then he may need to see a veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****