Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

All of a sudden my 22 pound beagle just started gagging

Hi Pearl, all of...

Hi Pearl, all of a sudden my 22 pound beagle just started gagging non-stop and keeps licking her lips and and licking the carpet etc looking for relief. I don't know what to do. She has not vomited yet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the beagle eat anything unusual?

She found a chicken bone on the ground when I took her out 2 hours ago but i was able to remove it from her mouth in full. That was 2 hours ago, this behavior just started about 10 min ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the beagle's name and age?

Olive, 4-5 years old. We just rescued her 6 weeks ago. And she was just at the vet yesterday for shots.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Olive?

She's in good health, just needs a dental cleaning.

9/21/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Seems like maybe she is nauseous? She had a little bit of water when it first started happening. Do you recommend giving her bread and Pepcid?

Hello again,

When a dog suddenly starts to gag and compulsively lick everything it can get a hold of then in my experience it usually means that the dog is feeling nauseous and you will perhaps have a bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea on the way. But of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Olive over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies which some owners use in this sort of situation while waiting for their vet's appointment. These work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug.

Here are some examples :

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for smaller breeds ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Olive's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Here is a video of Olive: https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcvws.icloud-content.com%2FB%2FAWshvwd7Y3CZxhIizIjmbw1hFrxeAamwqqaHK-3DANOcQNckv7Rx_u1b%2F%24%7Bf%7D%3Fo%3DApcO0MwZv3-OcA3mlZ6p5PcipVT4f6LX7fBIaIxSC2xj%26v%3D1%26x%3D3%26a%3DBa5IOhitpJd9AwagPgEA_wHIAP8f-aZj%26e%3D1508555844%26k%3D%24%7Buk%7D%26fl%3D%26r%3D10CB83B3-6E99-4566-9625-225B2D4923A8-1%26ckc%3Dcom.apple.largeattachment%26ckz%3D1B3BFAA6-3433-45A5-AB5E-F4C4EB80171D%26p%3D31%26s%3DIpdoxTKXyAYKQ4J8Bva_n8vIB-I&uk=ISEYIXnwZRCQcvo2rC_gdA&f=IMG_3341.MOV&sz=60204715How much Pepcid should I give her? She is 22 pounds. Would it be a good idea for me to take her out too to see if she has to go number 2?

Just trying to view the video, thanks.

For your size of dog around 0.5 mg per pound of bodyweight should be OK, this works out as say 10 mg given twice a day orally.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Sorry, cannot view the video, not playing this end. Not a bad idea to take her out and see what she does, just keep an eye on her in every way.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
I took her out and all she did was try to eat grass. I did give her a Pepcid and some dampened white bread "meatballs" and she took that just fine and had some water. She is still licking her lips and such but not has frequently as before thank goodness. Do you think I can feed her plain white rice and plain chicken in the morning, or should I wait a full 24 hours before feeding her? Thanks so much!
How do I know if it's just nausea or if it's actually something more dangerous like bloat?

Well see how she is tomorrow morning, if she appears a lot better then you could try her with a small amount of chicken and rice and see how it goes.

Hopefully this is just stomach upset and nausea but with bloat you would be seeing a discernible and continuing distension of the stomach, if you think this may be happening then get herr to an ER vet very quickly, however bloat is quite rare but upset stomachs of various sorts are very common in the dog.

I should be about online for a while yet so you can always get back to me if anything changes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you so much. I now recall giving her 2 teaspoons of gelato after her 8pm walk to help her cool down. Perhaps that's the cause? Although my other 2 dogs are just fine and they had it too.

Could be the reason ...

But keep a good eye on her.

Hi Dr. Scott, Olive seems better today but still has the "cough/hack" if you will every 20-30 minutes or so. She isn't spitting anything up. She isn't trying to eat grass. In fact, her stool is totally normal. I gave her another Pepcid wrapped in bread "meatballs" this morning. I am going to feed her some white rice and plain chicken now....what do you think is causing her to still cough? She hasn't been exposed to sick dogs....my other 2 dogs are just fine.

Sorry for the late reply, I am in a different time zone to you and have just logged on first thing this morning ...

How is she doing at the moment, still hacking ?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Dr., she actually pooped out a big piece of thread and is as good as new now, phew! Thank you for all your help - you are wonderful!

Brilliant! Good result ...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?