Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Pus like discharge from eyes, Bella is her name she's two…

Customer Question
Pus like discharge from...

Pus like discharge from eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella is her name she's two years old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I would say from your description that the most likely thing that Bella would be suffering from is conjunctivitis which is an eye infection sometimes called red eye or pink eye. Conjunctivitis in the dog is easy to spot, the whites of your dog's eyes will be red to some degree, the mucous membranes will be swollen and there may be a discharge in some cases which can be clear or green or yellow in colour. There are really two forms to consider.

A. Primary conjunctivitis : This is where the infection is in the eyes only, it is usually bacterial in origin although viruses and other organisms can be involved. It will usually respond quickly to antibiotic eye drops put in the eye two or three times a day for five days or so. This is common in the dog ...

B. Secondary conjunctivitis : This is where the eye problem is secondary to another disease process such as distemper. In these case your dog will be showing other symptoms as well which would be likely to be of more concern than the eye discharge. This is more uncommon ...

Here is a link to a site which has more information on conjunctivitis : LINK

2. My specific advice with any eye problem in the dog would always be to take Bella to your vet and have her checked out, you cannot be too careful with eye conditions as they can sometimes quickly go badly wrong. However in the meantime washing out your dog's eyes { very gently } with luke warm water would do no harm, however if the diagnosis turns out to be conjunctivitis then prescription drugs such as antibiotic eye drops would be by far the best treatment.

3. As far as home remedies go I have know clients resolve the issue in the case of mild uncomplicated conjunctivitis by irrigation the eyes four times a day with cold tea. The tannin in the tea is a bactericidal agent you see.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bella's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her eye discharge ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian