Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 monthly basset hound ate a few pot leaves off a plant…

Customer Question
My 7 monthly basset...

My 7 monthly basset hound ate a few pot leaves off a plant and threw them up fast with some food that was in her stomach she is sleeping now but shaking her breathing seems ok but am wondering if she is in pain she has had tummy troubles before it comes on fast and has eaten leaves in my yard a lot that make her sick i don't know how to pay for this though is pay pal ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Hmmmm just that she has had tummy problems two other times but i don't think she has eaten pot leaves before not sure she didn't diarrhea but did go poo

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did she eat the leaves { How minutes or hours ago } ? And how long after that did she vomit.

forget you people i can't wait that long she is up and walking around now and i would have rushed her to the vet if she was containing to vomit she ate them and barfed immediately
she was stalking I'm going to assume she has a upset tummy and ill go to my vet in the morning if she acts weird

Thanks for that typing out your answer now ...

she ate them and immediately barfed them up
im not paying more to call but thanks for not answering anything

Please stand by, I am typing out your answer now, this typically takes me between 5 - 10 minutes ...

Hello again,

Based on what you have told me so far I would say that most likely your dog is not at any great risk from this incident, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. The fact she vomited so soon after ingestion is very encouraging, but another plus is that marijuana is actually not that poisonous to dogs, in fact it takes about 1.5 grams of marijuana per pound of body weight to cause death. So in my experience deaths from marijuana poisoning in dogs are not common, in fact I have never seen any, but adverse symptoms such as animals becoming sleepy, vomiting, and having uncoordinated walking is common, it is surprising how often dogs get access to this drug, so these things are well documented.

2. While there are no guarantees, in my experience the vast majority of dogs exposed to marijuana fully recover within 24 hours without any treatment. However some dogs which took a large dose would experience very bad symptoms and would then require hospitalisation, and intensive care with IV fluids etc.

4. All you need do for now is just to keep an eye on your dog and of course call an ER vet if things are getting worse, but this would be unlikely. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

ok thanks but she hasn't barfed or done anything since so i will watch her and go from there thank you for your reply she seems ok she was just interesting in my nieces food i think her tummy is upset and would be curious to what is making her eat leaves in my garden inside and in the yard and plant called loosestrife
i would have called my vet but they had just closed if you know why they eat leaves like that is it a deficiency in something

Glad to talk this over with you further.

Dogs generally eat leaves and other things for that matter not because of any deficiency but just because this is something they like to do.

Regards,

Dr Scott

oh ok well that was good to know thanks she is doing better appreciate the time and i will contact you again in the future if needed thank you sarah

No problem Sarah, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Sarah,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the pot leaves issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott