Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 20 lb geriatric beagle just ate a raid ant trap...I am a…

Customer Question
My 20 lb geriatric...

My 20 lb geriatric beagle just ate a raid ant trap...I am a veterinarian and have dealt with this before, and my understanding is that they are not lethal...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

He did not digest it, just chewed it...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No, this might have been about an hr ago, and he is stable

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

OK...

Luckily there is not enough product in these to be of concern but if the container itself is ingested then we have a potential foreign body obstruction. So as long as your dog just punctured the container and didn't actually ingest the plastic you should be just fine. If the plastic was ingested then there is a concern of the plastic causing damage as it passes but also a foreign body obstruction with a dog his size.

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion if the plastic wasn't ingested.

If seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the bait ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- If the plastic was ingested give a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken to bulk up the pieces and push them through the other end

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad you were able to view my responses. I am online another 30 minutes tonight if I can be of any other assistance

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your Beagle after the ingestion yesterday. I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian