Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Last night, my wife and I forgot to give our dog her

Customer Question
Last night, my wife...

Last night, my wife and I forgot to give our dog her medicine for epilepsy. We typically give her meds 7 and 7 each day. We gave her meds this morning, she was fine all day, but starting at 5:30 PM tonight, she has had a siszer every hour on the hour, 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 amd 8:15.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Pepper, six years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepper?

No. Typically we have got her siezers down to 1 about every 3-4 weeks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What seizure medication is Pepper on? How long has she been on that medication for?

phenobarbital and zonisamide
6-8 months
just had her in the vet last friday for blood work, checking her lover and phenobartal levels, everything good
liver

Okay thanks for the additional information. So both medications were missed? How is she acting now? It sounds like she is having cluster seizures which occasionally can happen in dogs with epilepsy. This can be concerning because if she continues to have seizures it potentially can cause permanent damage to the brains. So if she is continuing to have seizures I would recommend that you take her to an emergency clinic. Usually they can control the seizures with a valium drip and continue to monitor her to make sure that the clusters are gone. If there are no more clusters then she can continue with the routine medications she is getting

both were missed last night. She acting normal, post siezer acting. She usually is a little anxious, paces, sometimes barks
It seems like, once she relaxes, is either asleep to just starting to sleep, is when she has the siezer

Okay good I am glad she is acting normal . Were you able to give her the medication tonight? If you can I would give her the evening dose but if she continues to have seizures then I would recommend having her checked out

we gave her her dose at 7
She's had 4 in the last 4 hours, how many more before she reaches the point I should take her in?

I am not sure what time zone you are in but how many hours has it been since the last seizure? It can sometimes take up to a couple of hours for the oral medication to kick in. So hopefully that will be her last seizure.