Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My husband and I had been away for several weeks and we just…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I had been away for several weeks and we just found out from our helper that she's been having extreme difficulty urinating, sometimes squatting for 10 minutes. Our nanny thought it was just a sign of old age so didn't think to tell us. Today, she vomited a foamy red.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that we know of. She's old, but still quite energetic

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

She started growing what I researched as pulpous growths on her chest. But they don't seem to bother her.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bella. She appears to be stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine. This most often is due to a bacterial urinary tract infection. Bella's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis (percutaneous aspiration of Bella's bladder through her abdominal wall) and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the tell-tale signs of infection - the presence of bacteria and abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is usually prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of antibiotic is done to make sure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. Alternatively, the urine might be cultured to identify just which bacteria are present and which antibiotic would be the very best to prescribe. This is called a bacterial culture and sensitivity and is particularly useful when the urine is quite dilute making finding of bacteria and cells in a urinalysis difficult.

Other considerations include urinary calculi (stones) and, less commonly, transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra. Her hematemesis - vomiting with blood - is worrisome for quite a few disorders including bleeding disorders, heavy metal intoxication, infectious disorders, metabolic disorders including renal disease which needs to be an important consideration because she's stranguric and neoplasia such as the transitional cell carcinoma I mentioned above.

Bella is in need of her vet's attention at your earliest convenience. Her tumors are important but her stranguria and hematemesis need attention first. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?