Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's eating and drinking excessively, Chili 8 years, Chili,

Customer Question
He's eating and drinking...

He's eating and drinking excessively

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Chili 8 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Chili

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chili?

Gums light pink. Very tired. No Ketosis.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. Is your fellow losing weight?
  2. Any changes in skin condition?
  3. Does his abdomen look larger than usual?
  4. Any vomiting or diarrhea?
  5. How long has this been going on?

A normal dog will take in 1 to 2 ounces of water per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period.

So a 15 pound dog will take in 15 to 30 ounces of fluids in a 24 hour day (2 to 4 eight ounce cups). They drink more when eating dry food and less with canned because canned is primarily water. I would measure the amount of water he drinks in a 24 hour period to see if he truly is drinking too much. Put out a measured amount and then keep track of any added and subtract what is left at the end of a 24 hour period. If he is eating dry food and it is warm where you are and he is drinking more then 2 ounces per pound of body weight over a 24 hour period or more then 1 ounce per pound of body weight if he is eating canned food and the weather has been cool then he should be seen by a veterinarian.

I understand that his appetite has increased too.

I would be concerned about internal organ disease (especially liver disease, but kidney disease and protein loss is possible too), primary intestinal disease, or an infection, especially in his urinary tract (if he is not neutered a prostatic infection would be a concern) as well as ketoacidotic diabetes, hyperadrenocorticism, or some types of cancer that cause increased water consumption and thus increased urination.

His increased appetite can be due to increased calorie needs with an infection or a tumor, poor digestion and absorption of the calories he takes in (should see weight loss or no weight gain even with eating more), or increased cortisone levels from Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism) stimulating his appetite.

I highly recommend that Chili see his veterinarian for an examination, complete blood count and biochemistry profile as well as a urinalysis and maybe abdominal radiographs or an ultrasound to diagnose his condition.

In the meantime do not restrict his water, let him have as much as he wants.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian