Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Diagnosed with Addisons Disease. Expensive DOCP shots every…

Customer Question
Diagnosed with Addisons Disease...

Diagnosed with Addisons Disease. Expensive DOCP shots every 25 days for life and daily med. He is getting very ADD and acts like he is starving all the time????

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

I'm sorry. My 9 year old chocolate lab. NOTE you see him on TV all the time. Last commercial was Subaru "Moving Out". Before that both our older dogs in the IAMS "A Boy and his dog Duck"

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

My 9 year old chocolate lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I thought I said that already? Diagnosed with Addisons Disease. Must take an injection every 25 days of DOCP. Daily med as well. I wondered if there is an alternative or if he will have to do this for life? It is extremely expensive for the Percorten-V injection

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He does not hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Bart

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bart?

I said it all above. I just noted the commercials so you can download from you tube to see the dog in action. Thought it might help

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Bart has a diagnosis of Addison's Disease and you are interested in other treatment options besides the injections of DOCP. Is that a correct summary for Bart?

Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago

There is another way to give the mineralcorticoid treatment besides the DOCP injections. There is an oral medication called fludrocortisone that is given every 12 hours initially. Eventually the dose is increased over the first 6-18 months to maintain normal electrolyte concentrations. Salt supplementation is indicated if high fludrocortisone doses are required for normal sodium concentration. That is the only other method that has been proven to work clinical evidence. I hope that is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm not fully understanding. Is the medication you speak of in the fluid or pill form and after the 6 to 18 does it decrease? He also is taking 5 mg of prednisone every day he's getting very hyper he seems totally hungry all the time and it's like he's not listening he is a movie dog. You can see him of physically if you want to go to YouTube and click on a boy and his dog and duck. My dogs work in the movie Industry all the time so I am very concerned about his condition and the way he is acting do you have any other suggestions

It comes as a tablet, but if it needs to be a liquid then a compounding pharmacy could convert it into that. The medication is always given every 12 hours, but the strength will likely need to increase over time. I just wanted to mention that because it is different than the way the injections work. The strength of the injection typically only changes if there are weight fluctuations.

Do you know what would affect his behavior and appetite

They are pretty minimal. Adverse effects of fludrocortisone are generally a result of chronic, excessive dosage or if withdrawal is too rapid. Since fludrocortisone also possesses steroid activity, it theoretically could cause the adverse effects associated with those compounds such as mild behavior changes, increased appetite, but most notably, increased drinking or urinating. That could be a problem for some dogs. The major side effects you are observing is with the steroid that is being given.

Do you have any other questions I can answer?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian