Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has ear discharge. I am trying to clean it out every…

Customer Question
My dog has ear...

My dog has ear discharge. I am trying to clean it out every day and there is no fowl smell. It is a light yellow and is crusting up. He keeps shaking head of course. When I clean it deep inside he want to itch. But I don't see he home itch it at all just head shaking. It is better than what it was 2 days ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Bobo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bobo?

There seems to be a few hair loss patches. Not very big, like the size of a dime or smaller mostly on the left hand side. I was giving the dog sentinel and using advantageII for fleas.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

What breed of dog is Bobo?

Is he on any medication at this time?

No other meds. I do give him a Zyrtec when I first noticed issue on Sunday. His ear looks like it is drying out and it has scabbed up. Whenever I try to clean it it is bleeding now. View pics. I could be just a worried mom.

With the head shaking, discharge and now the bleeding, you have every indication that Bobo is experiencing an ear infection. A dog's ear canal is shaped like an L, so we only see about 50% of it before it turns inward and a special instrument is needed to see around that curve. I would recommend scheduling an examination with your vet and not cleaning the ear the day that Bobo is to be examined. This will allow your vet to sample the discharge and determine what is causing the infection and where. They will then recommend medication that will be given for 7-21 days, usually within the ear. Your vet may also recommend oral antibiotics since there's an open wound and also pain medication to help with discomfort.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800