Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs eyelids are swollen and I don't have any money for a…

Customer Question
My dogs eyelids are...

My dogs eyelids are swollen and I don't have any money for a vet. What can I do to help him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's 14 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dutch?

No really other than being a older dog

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

It's just one eye that's swollen. It seems to itch because he keeps rubbing his eye on whatever he can. His eye lid is red and all around is swollen almost shut.

I am sorry to hear that Dutch has swollen eyelids.

There can be several reasons for this, but the most likely would be an allergic reaction to something.

Allergies are not something that we cure, we can only control them so they can be quite frustrating.

It is possible that this is related to an insect bite or sting.

Other allergens can be inhaled (like grass pollen, dust mites or molds).

You can use a combination of antihistamines and high doses of omega-3 fatty acids to help with the symptoms of an allergy. In combination fatty acids and antihistamines work synergistically, much better than either one alone. If his symptoms worsen seasonally I would think that inhaled allergens are a part of his problem.

You can try:

1)Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combo products as they can be toxic) at 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 15-25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. Dogs take a much higher dose per pound of body weight compared to people so don't let the size of the dose he would need concern you. DO NOT use Benadryl if your dog has a history of heart disease or glaucoma, or prostatic disease. If in doubt use another antihistamine.

OR 2)Claritin (loratidine) at 5mg per 25 pound dog once or twice daily.

OR 3)Hydroxyzine at 1mg per pound orally every 8 hours.

OR 4) Chlorpheniramine at 4mg to 8mg per dog once or twice daily.

OR 5) Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride) at 1/2 mg per pound of body weight orally every 24 hours. That would be one 10mg tablet per 20 pounds of body weight. Make sure it is NOT the formulation with a decongestant (such as Zyrtec-D) because dogs cannot tolerate decongestants.

Some dogs do better on one antihistamine rather than another. Give the one you pick a 3-4 trial and if it isn't working try another. Be aware antihistamines can cause sleepiness or hyperactivity in some dogs. These side effects do wear off with repeated use.

Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. Use the high end of the dosing schedule for your pup's weight, which means if he is between doses work up to the higher one. I recommend a dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 80 pound dog could take 1600mg of EPA per day.

Cool compresses on his eyelids may also reduce itchiness and swelling.

If he is rubbing his face an elizabethan collar (lampshade collar) is needed so he cannot further traumatize his eye.

Because it seems to be one eye my concern is that he may have gotten plant material or debris into his eye which can lead to a corneal abrasion or scratch. Ideally he would see a veterinarian and have his eyes stained to look for a scratch.

I understand that may not be possible given your finances.

I do recommend that you flush his eyes several times with sterile saline. This is the same solution that soft contact lens wearers use in their eyes, ask the pharmacist or drug store clerk for help if you are unsure.

The apply artificial tears every hour or two tonight. You can find these available over the counter at the drug store too. The more lubricated his eyes are the better for them and the more comfortable he will be. If he seems better tomorrow continue with artificial tears every 4-5 hours for at least 5-7 days, or two days past a normal looking eye.

Keep him in low light as that will keep him more comfortable.

If he is not improving and your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.

If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state

Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian