Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 month old Colie Shepard mix took about 8 Small

Customer Question
My 10 month old...

My 10 month old Colie Shepard mix took about 8 Small Brownie, maybe about a half pound and ate all of them. She climbed on the table to get them. That was at 6 :00 a.m. since then , we have gone on a 4.5 mile walk and sahe has played in the house. Since she is still a puppy , she is still sleeping. Should I brting her to the vet, anyway?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Shepherd will be able to digest that. What is the Shepherd's name?

Callie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Callie?

No, she has no other Health problems. Someone just rang the bell and my other 2 dogs went to the window and so did Callie. She acted like she always does when I get a delivery.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

How long ago was 6 AM where you are? The theobromine in cocoa becomes toxic at doses of 1/16 ounce per pound of body weight but it's difficult to determine just how much cocoa is present in brownies. If she has remained unaffected for at least 2 hours after ingestion, she should remain unaffected. The signs of theobromine toxicity are vomiting, agitation, and tremors and the half-life of theobromine is a long 17.5 hours and so signs could conceivably arise for quite some time after ingestion.

I have to leave my computer for a few hours and so if you still need help please ask for a second opinion which is a service we provide at no additional cost to you.

That was 8 hours a go when I contacted you. I will keep an eye on Callie. Thank you.

May I have an update on Callie, please?