Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 15yr old Cardigan Corgi who I have had since he was…

Customer Question
I have a 15yr...

I have a 15yr old Cardigan Corgi who I have had since he was 8wks old. Of course I am very attached to him, however he has severe hip displasure and has lost much control of his bladder and bowels. I control his pain with pain meds my vet prescribed for him. The problem is I am now 72 and I have had several operations and severe back problems and I am having anxiety and have a very difficult time giving him the same love I had for him in the past 15yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 15yrs of age.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Rusty?

15 years old. I am struggling with the thought of having him put down but my sanity is suffering as well as my health. I don't know what to do! I saw a advertisement on tv about how to cope but can't pull it up. (Veterinaryrecords.com) Can you help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rusty?

He barks all the time

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to hear of your conundrum with Rusty and with your own health.

It sounds like he's made it to a nice old age for a Corgi and certainly euthanasia would be a consideration given the loss of control he has of his bladder and bowels. I recommend to everyone that when considering euthanasia they do the following: Make a list of 10 things that your pet enjoyed doing when they were young. Perhaps that was chasing toys, visiting new people, etc. Now mark off all of the things that your pet can no longer do consistently due to age or illness. Once you're down to 5, it's time to discuss euthanasia and once 2-3 items remain, it's time to have the procedure performed. The fact that you're having further difficulty caring for him due to your own health should also play a factor in making this decision. I think you have every right to be pursuing this and it sounds to me like it's a justified time to be seeking to do so.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800