Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog scratches and though he has been on all kinds of

Customer Question
My dog scratches and...

My dog scratches and though he has been on all kinds of medications, nothing is really helpful. I'm so concerned, my last visit to my Vet cost $323 and I just can't afford that...it didn't help much anyway!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

My dog does not have fleas. He is well nourished and very sweet...but also very scratchy. He will often break the skin with his scratching thus wears a halo!

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. Do you know why he itches so much? Is he an allergy dog?

That is what I have been told and indeed the symptoms indicate this.

Alright, there are some new medications that I not sure if you have tried or not. The new ones are Apoquel and Cytopoint. Have you tried any of these? I am also assuming that you have done the limited ingredient diet and treated for any mites? I am not sure of exposure for mites but always a good idea to treat for it if they are that itchy.

The treatment for mites would be one dose of Bravecto (there are other treatments but that is the easiest).