Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 1/2 year old chocolate lab (98 lbs) has terrible elbow…

Customer Question
Hi. My 7 1/2...

Hi. My 7 1/2 year old chocolate lab (98 lbs) has terrible elbow calluses and he's also been biting/licking his paws to the point of bleeding. Trying to figure out how to remedy calluses and itching or irritating on his paws. I use doTERRA essential oils and am looking for a natural remedy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He recently underwent a neuter and scrotal ablation. That's all healed, but his biting on his paws started after that procedure. Can I upload photos during the process to help in the Dx?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would like to see photos which you can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

As for his calluses: Observation without treatment is appropriate for noninfected lesions. If a callus is infected, long-term systemic antibiotics may be recommended by her vet - a minimum of 4-6 weeks. Alternatively, topical dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) combined with the antibiotic enrofloxacin could be applied every 12 to 72 hours until lesions resolve. Special care should be taken to remove the "ingrown hairs" from the callus as these will eventually lead to furunculosis (deep infection of a hair follicle). It's advised to scrub the hairs out every 2-7 days using a cloth, brush, or sponge in the direction of hair growth. Tape-strip the hairs using a very sticky tape product; typically, only the ingrown hairs are removable, leaving the healthy and active hairs intact. Bedding and other sleeping/resting areas should be used to prevent trauma to the affected skin. Moisturizers, antibiotic ointments (mupirocin from her vet is ideal), 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel available over the counter, or salicylic acid/sodium lactate/urea gel (prescribed by her vet) should be applied to the affected area every 12-24 hours to soften the skin. However, secondary infections are likely to occur if moisturizers are used without the implementation of protective padding measures. Surgical excision usually isn't recommended because wound dehiscence is a potential postoperative complication.

As for excoriating the extremities: This is seen as a sign of a more general allergic dermatitis such as atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, dust mites, etc.) and food intolerance. Secondary bacterial and yeast infections are common and need to be managed before the prurutis of an allergic dermatitis can be effectively addressed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?