Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Water inside my dogs ear can not come out, because the ear…

Water inside my dogs...

Water inside my dogs ear can not come out, because the ear is now swollen. There are no mites, only heavy wax build up from the water. Dog is a standard poodle - hair grows deep in the canal. May I use the hydrocortisone lotion right in the ear?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Soleil, and he is 10.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Soleil.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Soleil?

I am delighted to realize that I am actually typing to a live person! Thank you for asking. Soleil has often hair growing deep in the canal, and I pluck. It works well. This time, he swam a few weeks ago, water in ears, and I can't get the hair out when the ear is so slimey with brown wax and water. I have used coconut oil in the ear to help clear out. He is not in pain, walks with a tipped head all the time now. I need to address the swelling, I believe, so that the water can exit. It is squishy sounding still. I have cleaned with apple cider vinegar (2:1 with water) and a syringe as a flush yesterday, providing some relief. There has been no smell in the ears; likely because I used coconut oil.

9/20/2017
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Soleil's troubles. You can use hydrocortisone lotion on the ear. You will want to apply it with your finger and gently massage it in as far as you can reach. Don't use a Q-tip. Keep cleaning with the vinegar water and then wipe with a paper towel on your finger to help clear out the discharge.

Normal ear wax is golden in color and well, waxy in consistency. If the discharge from Soleil's ears is black, greasy and squishy it could be an ear infection. Ear infections are common especially after swimming because bacteria and yeast love the moist environment. If this is the case, you should see a veterinarian for a prescription ointment.

It may also be of benefit to try to pin Soleil's ears back with a clothespin or other such item. This allows air into the ear and encourage drying.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian