Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was wondering what the life span of my rat terrier will be…

Customer Question
I was wondering what...

I was wondering what the life span of my rat terrier will be now that she has diabetes that is being treated?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name and age?

Roxy and she is 9. We give her 2 insulin shots a day with her meals which is WD glucose management. She is now blind from the cataracts which reduces the quality of her life

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

No, he sees her regularly

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Diane, the prognosis for these dogs depends on owner commitment to treating the disorder, ease of glycemic regulation, presence and reversibility of concurrent disorders, and avoidance of chronic complications associated with the diabetic state - pancreatitis, skin and urinary tract infections, mainly. The mean survival time for diabetic dogs and cats is ~3 years from time of diagnosis although dogs and cats that survive the first 6 months can easily maintain a good quality of life over 5 years with proper care.

Has Roxy been easy to regulate? Have you had to deal with concurrent disorders associated with her diabetes?

far, so good. She was always hungry so I gave her more food, which meant increasing her insulin but we have hit a happy spot for her comfort and behavior. I am with her all the time and recognize right away if something is off. I just wondered how long dogs will last even with good care when they have diabetes, no one ever told me before, so thank you. At least I will know what to expect. She is 9 years old, has had the diabetes for one year, and we have a 14 year old chiwawa. We wondered if they might go at the same time approximately. Thank you so much

You're quite welcome. Keep up the good work. I'm sorry for the delay. I was hiking up and and down a mountain.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian