Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Diva is a female pittbull. She's 11 months old and believe…

Customer Question
Diva is a female...

Diva is a female pittbull. She's 11 months old and believe she's like 6 weeks pregnant. She was bleeding yesterday and pooping black diarrhea. She's not feeling good. It's my daughter's dog but she's not home. I don't know what to do?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Hi my name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Diva's situation. Has your daughter had her to her vets to confirm a pregnancy? Is the bleeding from her vulva? Is she vomiting?

She hasn't taken her to the vet? She's not bleeding anymore but does look very tired.

Was the bleeding from the vulva or could it have been from her rectum?

I honestly don't know?

Ok. The reason I ask is that 11 months of age is awfully darn early to be pregnant. Not impossible by any means, but just early. For a dog to have bleeding from their back end and to have dark stools and to not feeling good - honestly the first thing that I'm questioning in a situation like this is a viral infection called Parvo. If she's never been to a vet and had any vaccines, then this just is at the top of that list. If she is having the blood discharge from the vulva, then the concern goes toward an infection in the uterus called a pyometra.

Diva has had her vaccines. She just hasn't been at the vet to check if she's pregnant. My daughter figured since her nipples got bigger and gained a little more weight

That is good that she's had her vaccines. That then takes the suspicion for parvo down immensely. Some can have false pregnancies that present as mammary gland enlargement and putting on weight. If she bled yesterday, then she may have ingested some of that blood and then as it was digested and passed, it turned the stools black.