Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

HE WILL HAVE EPISODES WHERE HE WILL NOT EAT, BECAUSE HIS…

Customer Question
HE WILL HAVE EPISODES...

HE WILL HAVE EPISODES WHERE HE WILL NOT EAT, BECAUSE HIS TUMMY IS UPSET, THEN HE THROWS UP YELLOW BILE AND SOME TIMES SHAKES LIKE HE IS COLD. SHOULD I TAKE HIM TO THE VET?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

NO. SINCE WE ADOPTED HIM HE HAS ALWAYS KIND OF HAD A SENSITIVE STOMACH, UNLIKE OUR OTHER DOG WHO HAS A STOMACH OF STEEL. loL

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

KINGSTER AND HE IS ABOUT 3 TO 4 YRS OLD

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kingster?

BEFORE HE WAS RESCUED,AND THEY FOUND HIM, HE HAD BEEN OUT IN THE WOODS FOR SEVERAL WEEKS AND WAS EATING CAT FOOD AND HAD MANGE

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Sorry to hear Kingster is having this issue. We do see this problem in some dogs whose stomach is empty for an extended period of time so there are a few things to try and if there is no change please have your veterinarian evaluate him to rule out other causes

- Feed meals 12 hours apart, for example 6 am and 6 pm. If you can also feed a small snack before bed
- Famotidine (pepcid) over the counter antacid 0.25 mg/ pound twice daily. If vomiting and reduced appetite tends to be first thing in the morning then please give this primarily in the evening at bedtime with the snack
- Increase leash walks, this helps encourage gi motility, reduce nausea and cramping but also stimulates appetite

Hopefully these steps will help reduce his episodes, please log the frequency and severity of the vomiting so if you are having to see your veterinarian we have an idea of when and what these episodes are looking like

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian