Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog ,a pod ,had Achilles' tendon operations on both legs…

Customer Question
Our dog ,a pod...

Our dog ,a pod ,had Achilles' tendon operations on both legs 8 weeks ago ,and still refuses to walk ,if I get her to do a few steps he very slow and jumps ,like a pain ,then won't walk any more and looks very frightened with her tail between her legs and paws me to pick her up.we have taken her back to the vet but they say there is nothing wrong with her .she is eating well and I have to carry her for the toilet other wise she wets herself rather than get up and walk ,the vet had her walking a few steps but she never got the jump then so he haven't seen it .if I put her down where she has to walk she goes for nearest chair or bush ,sits and refuses to move .

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Willow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Willow?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 10 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I am reviewing your question and apologize for the delay as it just showed up on the list of questions I can answer.

Dogs are opportunistic. If they find that acting a particular way gets them attention, they will continue to display that behavior to get the attention they crave. I'm not saying this is definitely the issue but it could be a contributing factor. Now on to how to correct it.

It may be that the surgery caused the muscles to atrophy a bit but also they can tighten and some rehabilitation might help. One form would be to use a shallow baby pool or children's pool and let her swim or walk with her paws just touching the bottom. The water will help support her weight and make it easier for her to get some exercise and strengthen the muscles. Some swimming might help as well.

Additionally, take her out when you have some time to spend. Put her down and let her sit is she wants. Put down some special treats a few feet away from her like some paper thin hot dog sliver. Just put them down and if she wants them she will have to move to go get them. Take a book, music, etc and plan on spending a few hours outside with her. As long as she thinks you will pick her up and carry her, she will hold out. If your yard is enclosed, you might also let her have time outside on her own. Some dogs won't move while the owner is there, but when the owners goes inside they will move around.

Read more on hydratherapy here:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/how-hydrotherapy-and-swimming-can-benefit-dogs

So I would try the pool idea as a form of hydrotherapy and some extended trips outside to get her moving again. I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .