Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yesterday my dog sounded like she was gagging but i quickly…

Customer Question
Hi, yesterday my dog...

Hi, yesterday my dog sounded like she was gagging but i quickly realized she could be coughing when clear liquid came out of her. She did it twice yesterday and today she seems to be "coughing" but nothing has come up today. What could this mean? She is 7 months old and a golden retriever/

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Ivy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ivy?

I have noticed her eyes are a little runny and shes been scratching a little more than usual so Im wondering if its an allergy or if she has kennel cough or something like that.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. It is possible that is an allergy, but I would consider it an upper respiratory infection until proven otherwise. Try applying pressure to both sides of her trachea at the same time where it enters the chest. If that causes coughing, it most likely is an infection. Lack of coughing doesn't mean anything, though. I would have your vet check her out and possibly put her on antibiotics. Benadryl is usually safe for dogs at 25 mg per 25 lbs every 8-12 hours. Robitussin DM (only DM formulation) can also be used at 1 teaspoon per 20 lbs every 4-6 hours. I would talk to your vet first before using any human medications to be on the safe side. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Ivy is doing and to see if you have any other questions.