Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 3 year old 5lb. chihuahua that has just vomited. It…

Customer Question
I have a 3...

I have a 3 year old 5lb. chihuahua that has just vomited. It was yellow with nothing remarkable in it. She has not been herself for the past 2 days, and we thought it was the change in food causing her to not want to eat, and while we did get her to eat a cooked egg last night, it was the only real substance she has had in these two days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No, she won't even take any treats

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Baby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

No pre existing conditions. She is not lethargic really, but not her usual playful self, you can tell she just doesn't feel that great. We are in central Florida and just went through hurricane Irma, without power for several days and I wonder if the evacuating and moving way out of routine plus the change in food just really put her off? She pooped yesterday midday and has been peeing, she takes water, but just it is so hard to get her to eat anything. We have been giving her Bravecto for about a year or more now so I don't believe that is what is suddenly causing this.
She also does not have a fever. I have been checking that and it is regularly 102.3-102.5

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept a phone call request. Thank you.

I am sorry that you are going through this with your dog after Irma. You are right, this could be related to the new food, especially if you were forced to change the food abruptly. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit or not willing to eat after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

How will I get her to take an eighth of that pill?? And thank you for your responses.

To give her a pill this is what you do:

1- Open her mouth.
2- Then, place the pill as far back on the base of the tongue and hold the mouth closed.
3- While holding the mouth closed direct the nose up and rub the throat to stimulate swallowing.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian