Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been throwing up but only at night. His right eye…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been throwing up but only at night. His right eye is looking in a different direction from the left. he's a cockapoo if that helps. he doesnt seem to be in pain but is very lethargic and his poop is runny. i just want to make sure he's comfortable

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He has a heart thing. i dont remember what its called but it doesnt pump as well. im told its very common for old dogs and hes almost 13

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. Abnormal positioning of the eyes is called strabismus. It occurs due to a problem with the nerves or muscles that control that part of the eye. You may see it with vestibular disease, which causes problems with balance. That may be why there is vomiting. The runny stool may just be due to the stress of the disease. It is possible there was an injury to that nerve or muscle, a localized inflammatory condition of the nerve (usually caused by the immune system) or a tumor in the area. I cannot rule out that something else internal may be causing the vomiting and diarrhea, such as kidney, liver or pancreatic problems or a primary gastrointestinal issue; but I would look at possible vestibular issues first. I would have your vet take a look at this. Blood work would be a good idea. At the very least, they may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication, medication for diarrhea and medication to control nausea to see if that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Cockapoo is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian