Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10month old westie ate the cord plugged into the wall…

Customer Question
My 10month old westie...

My 10month old westie ate the cord plugged into the wall while we were away. she threw up pieces of the black cord but I didn't see the two metal prongs anywhere.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Nora 10 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nora?

A little blood in her stool this morning

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since she ate the cord?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Is she eating and drinking?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

1. Around 12-16 hrs
2. Slightly, but also has energy
3. Very little
4. about 11 lbs
5. I am not around her at the moment

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept a phone call. Thank you.

Friend, at this point the big question is: Are the metal prongs obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract? Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to determine if they are, I am sorry. However, the fact that she is eating very little and may be lethargic these are symptoms that warrant further investigation. Nora would need to have x-rays by your family veterinarian. Strongly recommend having her checked as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move metal prangs out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon! Dr. Peter