Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What would cause a dog to drink water incessantly in a fugue…

Customer Question
What would cause a...

What would cause a dog to drink water incessantly in a fugue like state.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

What would cause my dog to drink water continuously in a fugue like state

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Sexy is her name. She is 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sexy?

She bites at the air

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for your question.

There are a few problems that would make a dog suddenly start drinking more. A urinary tract infection, bladder stones or diabetes, cushings disease or kidney failure.

The easiest thing to do is drop off some of her urine to check for a UTI or stones. If that comes back okay then you will need to make an appointment for a hands on exam. Given the dogs age it would be a good idea to schedule an exam anyway for this problem.

There are also medications that can cause this , such as steroids.

This link will go over different causes of polydipsia

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/my-dog-drinking-a-lot-water-polydipsia

She is a bull dog and she is on steroids she almost has seizures to where she snaps at the air and licks her feet and now she starts drinking water to where she's in a daze and you have to touch her to get her to quit drinking water fast any suggestions would be very very helpful it's very sad

It is most likely the steroids making her drink. As for seizures there is medication for that so you may want to discuss this with your Vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant