Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She had surgery,, spaying or whatever, last wend!! and has…

Customer Question
She had surgery,, spaying...

She had surgery,, spaying or whatever, last wend!! and has drank less than a cup of water... we went on two walks during both she wanted to run and play... but after getting back she wont go for the water like usual ...she slightly foams sticky drool... I have to keep a halo around her so she wont lick the wound but when I take it off after long periods with it on, she wont go for water hardly eats and seems to only want to lick that area... there is a slight mucus like substance that is present on part of the wound and coming out of her rear parts... I'm terrified about the water, then all the other stuff

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No she was before surgery assuming she was in heat they say

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Shaka kahn... they say she is a little over one... I rescued her

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Well only that she is going on 4 or 5 days on barely a cup of water... she did lap up some soup but that had a quarter cup and then one time she slurped some water but not much... very concerned cuz she has to heal without hydration...

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It sounds like Shaka kahn was spayed a week ago.

1) Can you provide pictures of the surgical site and the mucus you're seeing from the back end?
2) Has your vet performed a recheck examination since the spay?
3) When did your vet recommend sutures be removed from the spay, if any?
4) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
5) Is she on any medication?