Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy he's 1 1/2 years old keeps licking - and they're…

Customer Question
Good morning, my puppy...

Good morning, my puppy he's 1 1/2 years old keeps licking - and they're all really red now, the skin on the inside of his legs just above the pads of his feet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Mello

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mello?

He's outside free a lot and could get into anything. I also feed him real food since I've had him. Recently I've been feeding him mock tender steak but I think this condition started before I began feeding him that

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

From your description of paw licking, I think you are dealing with an allergy condition. This might be due to a food item or it could be due to a cleaning supply such as rug shampoo or even a type of grass. Allergens can be hard to pin down. You can read up on allergies here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

A lot of dogs have an allergic reaction to corn and wheat in dog foods, so you may want to switch dog foods to one that does not contain corn or wheat. If you are making all his food, you may want to stick to just one or two ingredients and supplement with vitamins or nutrical (nutritional supllement) It may take several weeks to see improvement after the change of food. You may also give your dog Benadryl up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours.

There might be a secondary skin condition in addition to the allergy such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet. For areas like the paws, soaking in an pan of epson salt water and applying miconazole (over the counter) cream afterwards a few times a day can help clear up the skin and stop the cycle.

While an allergic reaction is often the cause when a dog is excessively licking and/or chewing their paws, thyroid problems can also cause paw problems as well. You can try baby socks to prevent your dog from licking them.

You may want to see a dermatologist to determine the exact cause for the allergy or use the elimination method described on the following website. http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner