Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 14 year old chocolate lab. The past year or so he…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 14 year old chocolate lab. The past year or so he has been slowly declining. He has always been extremely active. When he was around 11 we would always joke about how he was still in his puppy stage! He loves playing catch, going for walks, hikes, chasing his sister (our other lab) around the yard, pretty much everything, he just does everything much slower and for a shorter amount of time. About 2 years ago he started limping on his front leg, the vet said he probably has arthritis and gave him some anti-inflammatory medicine. When he was 7 he had around 7 fatty masses removed, none which were cancerous & the vet told us was very common with labs. Now, he has more fatty tumors than we can count. If you rub your hand down his chest & tummy it's like a mountain range. Most concerning is a softball size one he has on his side , above and between his hind leg and chest. The vet said at this age it's kinda dangerous to have surgery to remove it. It seems as though it has been growing so much , so fast though. Just this past month or two he has started dry hacking,. Almost like something is stuck in his throat. Not a persistent cough, but definitely enough to really notice. This last week , usually at night, (when it's not warm) he has been panting very heavy, as he's laying on the floor. He still has an appetite, control over his bladder and for the most part seems happy. He still loves to play and go outside with everybody. We give him Fish oil, tumeric, Dasaquin and glucosamine. We know he's old and getting older, but we just don't want him to be in pain. We also don't have thousands to spend at the vet. He is our first baby and we love him more than I can really explain! Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks so much!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

No, I think I included everything!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has he had any diagnostics since the onset of panting and coughing?

Is the panting quiet or does it sound raspy?

When was bloodwork last performed?

Is he on any medication for pain at this time?

How did the NSAIDs work out for him around 2 years ago? Did he stay on them?

Hi, the panting and coughing just recently started, so no we haven't had any tests or anything done yet. The panting in very loud, not quite raspy. It's not very fast either, more slow, loud and drawn out. He's not on any meds right now. He stayed on the NSAIDS for about 2 months, but it didn't really seem like they were making a difference.
He had blood work done about a year ago.

Do you happen to have a copy of the bloodwork that was performed?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian