Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My dog has not gotten up to go outside to go to the bathroom

My dog has not gotten up to go outside to go to the bathroom since Monday morning at 10 am. We know he has bad hips so we thought they were just getting worse and he didn't want to get up. But now looking at him his stomach looks kind of bloated. He is drinking water but won't eat his dog food. We tried giving him some scrambled eggs but he threw them up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He won't get up to go to the bathroom but we haven't noticed that he has peed or pooped where he is sitting either

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Is he able to stand?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you help?

Is he able to stand?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He stood for a little bit on Monday evening to get water but still wouldn't walk outside to go to the bathroom. I have not seen him stand since Monday evening. His water bowl is close enough so he can drink out of it without standing

Is he on any medication for his hips currently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we've been giving him rimadyl and dasuquin advanced for the past month
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seemed like the medication was helping at first but not lately

Ah, ok. Has he been straining to poop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not that I have noticed. I don't really watch him when he goes outside because we have a fenced in yard. But since he has not gotten up to go outside he has not tried to poop at all

How often is he vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has just done it once

Ok, it certainly sounds like he may be quite stiff and reluctant to get up or squat to poop because of this. Do you have access to tramadol?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah we do actually

Tramadol can be used in addition to his rimadyl and dasuquin as a top up pain relief. Tramadol is an opioid pain medication so it can slow gut motility, so if he is a little constipated it may be worth giving some food grade mineral oil as a mild laxative to help him poop and ensure we dont make any constipation worse with the tramadol. Can you give me an idea of his weight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'd say he is in between 75-90 pounds

For a dog of his size I would recommend ~5ml mineral oil twice daily and a tramadol dose of ~100mg twice daily.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay is mineral oil something I can buy at the grocery store? Does it come in a liquid form or is it in capsules?

Absolutely, it should be available at the grocery store or pharmacies. It should come in liquid form.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you very much. And just so I understand the tramadol you are recommending is the same tramadol they prescribe to humans for pain relief?

Absolutely, exactly the same thing

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay and one more question. I read somewhere that giving him cooked plain oatmeal could help. Do you find this to be true or that it won't really make a difference?

Oatmeal can help settle an irritated stomach and is mainly a source of fibre. However, it will not necessarily help if he is constipated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay that makes sense. Thank you for your answers. I am going to try the mineral oil with the tramadol

You are very welcome. Hopefully he is feeling much better very soon!

Best Wishes,

Richard.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling