Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog that is in the Mastiff group, is been a the steroid

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** ***** My dog that is in the Mastiff group, is been a the steroid Predisone for 14 days. Today his front leg has swollen up so much he can hardly stand. What can I do to reduce the swelling and hopfully relief some of his discomfort and pain?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chakha-(Sha-Ka)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chakha-?
Customer: His test for lymphoma came back inconclusive. Ive lost faith in my vet. The test was more than $ 200.00 and the results were inconclusive!?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: His swelling was going down. 14 days into steroid treatment his leg and other lymph nodes have began to swell. What can I do to releive his pain?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. In terms of analgesia, you’re necessarily constrained to either aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight (22 mg per kg of body weight) with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol, e.g.) dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight (15 mg per kg of body weight) thrice daily. Acetaminophen isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin, however. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.A human narcotic can be helpful as well. Please let me know if you have such a drug at home and I’ll see if I can give you a dose for it.

In terms of the swelling, I would need to know more of his history to better understand why it has arisen. The swelling is more suggestive of a mast cell tumor or perhaps lymphedema than lymphoma. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian