Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She had a raw marrow bone for a little while, and she had…

Customer Question
Hello! she had a...

Hello! she had a raw marrow bone for a little while, and she had chewed off pieces and swallowed them before I had the chance to get it all away from her unfortunately

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nala?

I don't think so! she's a pit bull lab mix and about 70lbs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Did this just happen? Can you estimate how much of the bone pieces were ingested? Was it a raw bone?

it was a raw bone, and it did just happen. I don't thin much of it, maybe little pieces she had broken off before I got it away from her. not sure how much she had in her mouth

Okay thank you

The biggest concern would be a gastrointestinal blockage.

Signs of a blockage are:

Lot of vomiting or diarrhea

Lack of appetite

Pain on abdominal palpation

Lethargy

But the good news is if she chewed it into smaller pieces there is good chance she will digest and pass the bone as she is a larger girl.

Normally signs of a blockage do not show until at least 12 hours after the offending object is ingested.

So if she seems fine tonight I would just keep an eye on her.

Keep a close eye on her over the next week.

If she is still fine then I would relax and carry on.

okay! thank you so much for your help!

Raw bones can cause a bacterial infection as well. Signs of that would be fever, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite. That should not have any signs for at least 24 hours.

So basically if you see lots of vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or abdominal pain then it is time to see a vet

You are very welcome.

I'll keep a close eye on her! thanks again :)

Glad to help. Have a great night. Also feed and exercise her as usual. : )

always! she's very spoiled. you have a great night too!

Thanks!

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian