Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 15 pound Pug ate my grandsons Hasbro Play Dough this

afternoon at noon. She...
My 15 pound Pug ate my grandsons Hasbro Play Dough this afternoon at noon. She has been vomitting bile & play dough for the last 7 hours. Drinking water and urinating, she is lethargic. No food since yesterday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No she is in good health, has a regular vet, up to date with all her shots and is agile for her 10 years.
9/20/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Thank you

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Play-Doh is a mixture of water, flour and salt, the salt in the Play-Doh can cause mild salt poisoning which results in dehydration and a very thirsty dog as well as vomiting and perhaps diarrhoea. As long as water is always available your dog shouldn't be seriously affected and should soon start to recover but if symptoms continue then you should have her checked over by your local vet just to be on the safe side.

2. In the meantime I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with in this sort of situation and report success, this should help settle her stomach. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Pug's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you, ***** ***** your time. Have a good evening.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Pug is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Play-Doh ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian