Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My labrador just ate a sports sock, marley he is 3, he has…

Customer Question
My labrador just ate...

My labrador just ate a sports sock

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Marley he is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marley?

He has eaten rocks before and had an operation to retrieve from his intestines

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Marley.

While it's certainly possible that he'll pass the sock, it might be best to try and retrieve it, if possible, to avoid another obstruction.

How long ago did he eat the sock?

How much does he weigh?

Thanks, Deb

I think it was about 2 hours ago...i just realised the sock was missing. I'm actually dog sitting Marley for a friend so i'm unsure how much he weighs.
I feel absolutely terrible about it!!
How long does it normally take for things to pass. Should I give him anything to help him pass it sooner?

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

I know you feel awful but accidents like this happen all the time, especially when the dog is a lab!

If it's been about 2 hours, I'd suggest that you induce vomiting if you have 3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle). He probably weighs about 60-70 pounds so I'd mix 2 tablespoons with bread or yogurt (or something similar). Walk him around and repeat the dose in 15 minutes (but only one additional time) if he hasn't vomited after the first dose.

Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

If you're not successful, then monitor his stools over the next 12-24 hours (or longer) for evidence of the sock. Signs to monitor for signs of an obstruction will be vomiting, disinterest in food, lethargy and/or abdominal pain.

In most cases, these larger dogs will pass this sort of thing with no problem but at least you'll know what to look for if he doesn't and you don't retrieve it. To help increase transit time, you can add fiber such as whole wheat bread to his meals and increase exercise/play.

I hope this helps, Deb

OK great thank you so much Deb!!! I appreciate your help so much!!!!

You're more than welcome.

Good luck, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian