Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have 2 week old puppies and I noticed today that several

of them are having runny...
i have 2 week old puppies and I noticed today that several of them are having runny, yellow stools. I have really not seen much stool before now so I'm not sure if the mother has just stopped cleaning up after them or if I should be worried about an infection. I began noticing it this morning and they are still acting normally. They are very good eaters!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not that I know of
9/19/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
I am Dr. Nicole and I will do my best to help you through this situation. I am working on a response right now.
Thanks
What kind of a diet is the mother currently on? She should be on a higher calorie puppy food and stay away from any raw foods. There have been reported cases of salmonella if mother is getting raw food. If not, less of a worry. Not a bad idea to have mom on a probiotic supplement as well such as fortiflora or other probiotic.
If possible it would be good to check a fecal sample on puppies for any intestinal parasites. They are already at an age where they can be dewormed with pyrantel and it can be repeated every 2 weeks as needed.
Ensure that they are nursing really well. If the diarrhea is not improving then I would have them examined by your veterinarian to ensure they are well hydrated and looking healthy.
Some puppies that have chronic diarrhea need to go on an oral antibiotic but doesn't sound like they need that now plus you want to avoid giving any medications unless absolutely necessary at this age. Best to try to stick with more of a natural approach and ensure that they continue to nurse well, are active and not losing weight.
If mom is not cleaning them well them you may have to step in and make sure they are nice and clean. This will minimize reinfection if there are parasites.
Hmm. Mom is on regular dog food because we had an issue trying to switch her over to puppy food even with a small amount added to her current food. We don't give her any raw food but we do have chickens and she steals eggs here and there.. The puppies are still very voracious while nursing and I don't notice a change in behavior. Mom has been cleaning them so I had not seen any stool before today.
Sounds like I should probably take a stool sample in?
I would try to prevent her from eating the raw eggs if possible. Might not be contributing at all but best to stay safe. Dont worry about not adding in the puppy food as long as she is eating enough and maintaining her weight. Yes, I would recommend taking a stool sample in. You can have mom checked too.Pease let me know if you have any more questions. I am happy to help.
If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week.Just take it one day at a time and ensure that they are active, alert, nursing well, staying clean and if possible check a fecal sample or have them dewormed.Hope to hear from you soon,
Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian